3-16-20: Message from Sensei Winkler
We’ve been doing extensive research, examining guidance from the local and national health agencies and government recommendations for what is the best course of action for our school. While I very much want to continue to keep the school open, I have decided that it is in our students’, their families’, and our community’s best interest if I suspend all classes and lessons starting today for next two weeks (March 16 – March 29).
The situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic is continuing to develop, and we will continue to monitor it very closely. As soon as it is safe for us to resume classes we will, even if that is sooner than March 29. However, the prevailing outlook at this time suggests that we will need to be closed until the 29th.
Also, our annual tournament, scheduled for Saturday, April 25, has been indefinitely postponed. Once we are able to confidently set a new date for it, we will let you know.
I will very much miss seeing you all. Master Ochiai has said this a time for Rinki Ohen (“adaptability”) and Nin-Tai (“patience and perseverance”). So, please keep up with your training, as your able, during this challenging period.
I will keep you updated as this pandemic continues to evolve. If you have any questions or concerns about any of the above, please don’t hesitate to contact me at 571-420-6758. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
I wish you and your family safety and good health, now and always!
As news regarding the Coronavirus threat (COVID-19) continues to evolve, we wanted to let our community know what we have been doing, and what we continue to do to preempt exposure within our school.
The safety and well-being of our students and their families is our top concern, and we continue to closely monitor this situation and align our response with guidance from local and national health agencies.
Before we go into specifics actions we have/are taking outlined below, we want you to know that the Dojo is open for all classes, and at this time there is no change to our class schedule. Should the need arise to adjust our class schedule and/or class format, including closure, we will contact our studentship immediately.
Steps We are Taking
- Disinfecting all commonly touched objects and areas with EPA-approved Coronavirus disinfectants during the day and after class every night.
- Students will no longer use the iPad to sign-in for class, but will instead check in with the staff and/or Sensei Winkler at the front desk.
- Students are asked to do the following:
- Wash hands for 20 seconds before and after class or use the provided hand sanitizer.
- Cover mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve (not hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth.
- If you are sick, please stay home and only return once you are symptom free for 24 hours.
- We have plans in place, should the need arise, so that students can continue to train and develop themselves in an environment that is as safe as possible. These include limiting class size and focusing on the large array of katas and techniques, that require no person-to-person contact.
We will provide updates to this post as this situation continues to unfold. If you have any question or concerns please contact Sensei Winkler anytime at 571-420-6758.